I am a predominantly qualitative researcher of media studies, with intermediate skills in quantitative social science methods.
I have conducted ethnography, interviews, focus groups, discourse analysis, and surveys. I am using R for my statistical analyses.
I am interested in studying
the social & cultural implications of digital media and popular culture on children, families, and immigrant communities.
I am conducting research in both Asia and the US.
Relevant research topics are:
7. Pham, B. (2022). Public reception of young K-pop fans in Vietnam, 2011-19. Transformative Works and Cultures, 38. https://doi.org/10.3983/twc.2022.2061 [open-access]
6. Delano, I., Glenhaber, M., Kim, D. O., Lanz, P., Mischie, I., Quick, T., Peterson-Reed, K., Persaud, C. J., Pham, B., Reddy, R., Rivera, J., Wilson, E., Jenkins, H., & Shresthova, S. (2021). Flying Cars and Bigots: Projecting Post-COVID-19 Worlds Through the Atlas of the Civic Imagination as Refuge for Hope. Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/10304312.2021.2003303
5. Zhen, L., Nan, Y., & Pham, B. (2021). College students coping with COVID-19: Stress-buffering effects of self-disclosure on social media and parental support. Communication Research Reports, 38(1), 23-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824096.2020.1870445
4. Pham, B., & Loh, R. S. M. (2019). Conducting fieldwork on children and media: comparing research in Singapore and Vietnam. Journal of Children and Media, 13(4), 494-497. https://doi.org/10.1080/17482798.2019.1669295
3. Pham, B., & Lim, S. S. (2019). Vietnamese pre-schoolers' tablet use and early childhood learning: an ecological investigation. Journal of Children and Media, 13(3), 241-259. https://doi.org/10.1080/17482798.2019.1613247
2. An, S., Lim, S. S., Lee, H., & Pham, B. (2018). Overcoming Prejudice, Seeking Support: Transnational Social Media Communication of Female Vietnamese Students in South Korea and Singapore. Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration, 2(2), 107-126. https://doi.org/10.1386/tjtm.2.2.107_1
1. Lim, S. S., & Pham, B. (2016). ‘If you are a foreigner in a foreign country, you stick together’: Technologically mediated communication and acculturation of migrant students. New Media & Society, 18(10), 2171-2188. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444816655612
5. Livingstone, S., Lim, S. S., Nandi, A., & Pham, B. (2019). Comparative global knowledge about the use of digital technologies for learning among young children. In O. Erstad, R. Flewitt, B. Kümmerling-Meibauer, & I. S. P. Pereira (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Digital Literacies in Early Childhood. Routledge. [link]
4. Pham, B., & Lim, S. S. (2018). Bridging Parental Expectations and Children's Aspirations: Creative Strategies in Migrant Students' Mediated Communication with their Left-behind Families. In C. Gomes & B. S. A. Yeoh (Eds.), Transnational Migration in the Asia-Pacific. London: Rowman & Littlefield. [link]
3. Pham, B., & Lim, S. S. (2016). Empowering interactions, sustaining ties: Vietnamese migrant students’ communication with left-behind family and friends. In S.S. Lim (Ed.), Mobile Communication and the Family - Asian Experiences in Technology Domestication (pp. 109-126). Dordrecht: Springer. [link]
2. Lim, S. S., Pham, B. & Cheong, K. (2016). At the crossroads of change – New media and migration in Asia. In L. Hjorth & O. Khoo (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of New Media in Asia (pp. 241-250). London: Routledge. [link]
1. Lim, S. S., & Pham, B. (2015). Digital connections and disjunctures of migrant students. In T. Skelton, N. Worth & C. Dwyer (Eds.), Geographies of Identities and Subjectivities. London: Springer. [link]
3. Jenkins, H., Brichta, M., Kim, D. O., Lanz, P., Lee, A., Proudfoot, S., Shresthova, S., DeLano, I., Frizzell, M., Hedge, A., Madebo, A., Mischie, I., Persaud, C., Pham, B., Randazzo, M., Reed, K., Reid, D., Sørenssen, I. K., Steel, J., Nair, M., & Wilson, E. (2022, December 1). What Super Bowl Advertisements Can Teach Us About the Civic Imagination. Journal of Media Literacy. [link] [open-access]
2. Chang, H. H., Pham, B., & Ferrara, E. (2021). K-Pop Fandoms Drive COVID-19 Public Health Messaging on Social Media. arXiv Pre-print, Social and Information Networks. [link] [open-access]
1. Lanz, P., Quick, T., Glenhaber, M., miller, j., Mischie, I., Peterson-Reed, K., Pham, B., Proudfoot, S., & Sengupta, P. (2020). New Civic Paths and a Public Sphere of the Imagination: The Civic Imagination Project. Revue Française des Sciences de l'Information et de la Communication, 18. https://doi.org/10.4000/rfsic.7912 [invited article]
1. 2020. USD$1,650 (Principal Investigator).
Annenberg Summer Research Fellowship.
Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA
Project Title: "Digital media and parenting practices in Vietnam"
I am a Member (since Fall 2019) of the Civic Paths research group at the University of Southern California.
I am also Research Assistant (Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2023) to Civic Paths.
I am the Social Media Editor (since 2023) to the Intellect journal Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration.
I was the Editorial Assistant (2017-2022) to the Book Reviews section of the SAGE journal Mobile Media & Communication.
I have been reviewing manuscripts for the following journals so far:
Copyright © 2023 BECKY PHAM - All Rights Reserved.